Monday, November 17, 2008

0 to School in 4 Minutes

I woke up, the sun was shining through my window and I quickly grabbed my phone/alarm. 7:59… I tore off my pajama pants, put on my uniform pants, threw on my uniform jacket over my pajama shirt and dashed out of my room, not even wondering why my alarm hadn’t gone off. Ba was crouching in the middle of the living room watching TV, still in his pajamas. I dashed by him to the bathroom, and he said, “You’re in a hurry. Why?” I only managed one word before I had Listerine in my mouth, “School.” Ba looked at his watch and said, “You better run fast.” And I was out the door, running down the 5 flights of stairs, sliding around each corner like a cartoon character. Ba was getting a stern talking to later. I burst out the front door and spit my Listerine all over the pavement and ran the quarter mile to school into a headwind. The Chinese people scoffed and laughed at the white guy wearing a Chinese high school uniform with his bed-head and the awkward gait of someone trying to run with a backpack on, but I didn’t care. School was resuming after the break and I didn’t want to leave a bad impression on the teachers. I dashed into the campus and up the 6 flights of floors to SYA’s floor, apologizing to Bi Laoshi before walking into the classroom and the early start of a Monday. In China, every minute of class time is utilized; teachers don’t even give out homework until the 5 minute break between classes because it’s considered a waste of time otherwise. All the chairs close to the door were taken, so I walked across the room and through the stares of every single one of my classmates. I sat down and looked at the clock. 8:03… I panted and joined the conversation about the trip to Fujian and Jiangsu. My stomach grumbled and I knew it was going to be a long day. What had I missed in that hour that I normally have before school? I missed talking with my parents and friends back home. I missed the chance to study up on some Chinese words before a tingxie. I missed the chance to try and convince a friend from leaving for good in 5 weeks. My parents miss me, my tingxie suffered and now my friend’s practically gone. An hour makes all the difference. Ba, you’re going to get an extra stern talking to.

4 comments:

Janet Cushey said...

That used to happen to me like every day in seventh grade. except my ride to school was an hour since i still lived in the middle of nowhere. how silly!
i wish i could be late to school in china!! that would mean i was in china, period!!!

Alex Zanetti said...

Oh my, thats exciting. Leave it to you to make getting to school exciting....*obligatory comment*... now stop nagging me :p.

miss ya dude

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I know I've been really bad about keeping in touch. -10 friend points for me. BUT, I did take the time to actually catch up on everything you're doing. Sorry that you were late for school, and that your friend is leaving. However, I'm glad that you're still pretty much enjoying your time in China, what with the exotic foods, beautiful sights, and something else. Something that seems like a miracle. Something that I sighted in one of your photos. Is that, perhaps, the beginning of boy-scruffle? Are you scruffling it up? I am a pro-beard activist, so I approve. You get +12.5 man points for being able to grow that in however many months (because I vaguely remember something being said about your lack of ability to grow facial hair at all). So, congratulations on the scuff, McGruff. Keep on keepin' on.

Janet Cushey said...

Hurry and write a new entry!! I'm starving for more Sterling!!